31.1.09

Kiwiana.

I did my fair share of Kiwiana gift shopping today, we thought we best have some things to give these great people who are letting us into their homes along the way and to anyone else who helps us out of any sticky situations!



I need some more ideas though? I went to Studio Ceramics, on Hurstmere Road, Takapuna and picked up some great tiki wall hangings, a maori inspired mask wall hanging and a paua bowl (all seconds, I can't see whats wrong with them? and absolutely dead cheap) and then hit the $2 shops for other little bits and pieces (note the I love NZ shotglass, tasteful, hehe). Any suggestions? Lovely Ginny, from Swonderful, just suggested the plastic tomato shaped tomato sauce dispensers (only $2 at Pak n Save she tell me!) and they are definitely a goer, and the tiki salad servers at Iko Iko I must go back and investigate them.



I also have collected a bunch of NZ souvenir spoons, I made myself a Georgina Baker rip-off a we while ago (after I bought one a real one though!) and think I might put them to good use and make some pins and necklaces as unfortunately our budget doesn't stretch far enough for some of Georgie's beaut pieces!

I hit the market in the morning too in Takapuna, hoping to pick up some goodies but there wasn't really anything I fancied in terms of gifts. I did get a little side tracked and bought this pin for myself. I thought it was a steal at $10!


Happy Sundays all round!


2 comments:

Aimee said...

Some suggestions for gifts for overseas folk are:

Kaitaia Fire (south american folk should surely love!)

New coins, some nice shiny 2008 currency.

Printed tea towels

Crown Lynn!

NZ themed badges (from pauanesia)

Sarah Gauntlett said...

ah huh! i had seen georginas stuff before about a year or so ago - thus my own spoony necklace making - but i wasn't sure who designed them etc (wasn't paying attention in the shop!) so glad you posted this so i could see her amazing stuff! they are so cool!

my sister went overseas and took friends etc greenstone necklaces, apparently they were a big hit!

 
Blogging tips